First, in case you haven't seen them, unofficial call-up lists are on Scott Scofield's blog:
This is the third straight year Scott has done this for our swimmers, coaches, and fans. Also helping out was Paul Hodges. Thanks, guys!
Now, let's share some of the more unusual things seen at this year's region meets.
Want me to go first? Okay, here's a start:
1. We had officials standing side-by-side to do relay take-off judging. Even if neither noticed what their neighbor had noted on his/her heat sheet, it's NOT how dual confirmation is supposed to be done. No matter how trusted an officiating crew is, the appearance just isn't good!
2. Our prelim 500 free bell-ringer had some trouble getting a good ring out of the bell. While hundreds looked on in amazement, this official held the bell upside down, shook it vigorously, and just couldn't manage to get much of a ring out of it. This went on, heat after heat. If only we'd gotten some sort of chant going to help out..."Turn it over! Turn it over!"
3. A young man was "counting" for lane 7 swimmer in a consolation final heat of the 500 free. Had his Beats on and was really enjoying himself...until the coach realized his count was off by a couple of lengths. Coach was less than ten (10) feet away, hollering at the guy counting. Zero response. Kid just continued to stare off in to space. Finally, coach hopped up on bulkhead, went over to counter, ripped off headphones, and gave the stunned kid hell. Couldn't help myself...said out loud "You're fired!"
4. Our boy divers were 1st & 4th in region, but our dive coach forgot to register with TISCA this year. As a result, I was recognized as boy diving COTY for saying "Divers, go dive" each afternoon.
5. We had a couple of schools qualify relays for consolation finals that no-showed Saturday. Danged sponsors..
6. There was a tie for 4th in the 50 free. Thinking it could impact call-ups, they had a swim-off after the 400 free relay. Complete waste of time & energy. UIL rules state that ties are broken by prelim times. They didn't tie in prelims, so swim-off wasn't necessary.
If anyone has some video of our bell-ringer or lap counter, please post!
Anyone care to share unusual events from their region meets?